Catral is a town seated in the Vega Baja del Segura region located at the southern end of the province of Alicante
His term includes 19,24Km2. It is 12m. above sea level. The area covers 14,554.5 Orchard tahúllas (*) and is irrigated by the Mayor irrigation channel and other minor aqueducts called arrobas. The Burrow, Ovens, Albellón and San Juan, are their names. Currently it has a population of 9,200 inhabitants.
According to a 1860 report he communicated, by:
“Country roads open in the flat occupied and trails to walk leading to Dolores, Almoradi, Callosa, Albatera and San Felipe Neri” (**)
The first document that the word Catral appears, is situated 1255 and he was granted the Order of Santiago “Catral, Orihuela village”. The Castilian King Alfonso X the reintegrated to the Crown in 1264. From 1296 Catral, like the southern half of the province, passed into the hands of the Crown of Aragon, within the Attorney General of Orihuela. In the middle of the thirteenth century it ended the Muslim domination of Catral. King Philip V granted the rank of “Villa”.
Catral enjoys a privileged situation in the province of Alicante and in the region of the Vega Baja del Segura. It is approximately the same distance from the city of Alicante and Murcia (45 Km.).
Coast we are 20 Km. From Guardamar de Segura and 25 Km. From Torrevieja. The capital of the region, Orihuela, is 16 Km. And industrial centers of Elche and Crevillente 20 and 10 respectively.
Communications are excellent, because through the motorway (A-37) and the motorway (A-7) can travel to Murcia or Alicante in 25 minutes, and Torrevieja in 15 minutes. Furthermore by local road towards Callosa de Segura and Orihuela, or to Dolores-Almoradi and rest of the region. We railway station 3 Km. (Albatera-Catral). The Altet airport is located 35 km (20 minutes by motorway).
Our climate is very pleasant temperature exceeding 10 degrees in January and 26 in July.
(*) 1 tahulla in Catral amounts to 1.185m2.
(**) Church Sts Juanes and Historical Notes of Catral of M.Sierras